July 21, 2013

A letter to my daughter



July 16th, 2013

               
To Ellie on your 1st birthday:

Today you are one year old and we celebrate every piece of you. One year ago today, I did not know how much my life would change. You were placed into my arms and although we were strangers, it was if I had known you forever. I loved you from the moment I laid my eyes on you, but did not know how much that love would grow/change/complete me. Our family of 2 became a family of 3, and the completion that you bring is indescribably beautiful.
Today we celebrate one year of being your parents. We celebrate the fact that we not only survived it, but somehow loved every moment of it. Every sleepless night, every dirty diaper gone wrong, every cry, laugh and tear have made me a better mother. Your presence has made me better. More loving. More patient. More forgiving.  When to fight and when to let go. I did not expect that. I am lucky that I get to be with you every day and watch you grow and change into this amazing person. What I did not expect is while I am teaching you that the garbage can is not a toy box and not to be afraid of the vacuum cleaner, you are teaching me how to be a better person. I may not always get things right, but you are forgiving and we get through it together. You bring so much joy into our lives and your joy is all consuming. When you experience something for the first time, I get to experience it all over again. I love every moment I get to spend with you.

I want you to know that I have known that you are special from the moment I laid eyes on you. You are you and there is no one else like you. I love every piece of you from your head down to your toes. This is you, today, on your first birthday:

You have four teeth but very little hair to speak of;
You can stand up and walk on your own;
Your favorite words are “nunga nunga” and “tucka tucka”;
Your favorite foods are strawberries and cheese;
You like to sleep with your seahorse night light;
You do not like to be hot and you fling your blankets off when I try to put them on;
You love to read, and by read I mean pull down all the books off your bookshelf into a big heap;
You are insatiably curious, about everything and every noise;
You like doing everything yourself and on your own terms;
You love the outdoors and cry when we bring you in;
You love birds and crane your neck to see them;
You try to mimic the words we say, especially animal noises;
You just learned to clap your hands and wave goodbye and you do so interchangeably;
When you are happy you kick your legs back and forth ferociously;
You LOVE shoes but not to wear them.

I can see all of you, and am already so proud/blessed/amazed at the little person that you are becoming.  You are simply the best ever. I wish you all the happiness, love and beauty that this world can bring you.  Know that I love you more than I can ever say, I love you fiercely and fully. I love you forever.

Love,
Your Mama

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 22, 2013

    My eyes are wet! You are such a beautiful mother, Rebecca!!!!! Ellie is a lucky girl (and visa versa)!!!!!!
    Love, Pop

    ReplyDelete